Thursday, June 18, 2009

Concerning Trend

I'm working as a mentor for college students in an online university.  I love what I do.  After several months of interacting with students, I have noticed an interesting trend.  Not many people do what they say they are going to do.  Of the 90+ students I work with, I would say I can count on less than 20% of them to consistently keep the commitments they make to themselves regarding their progress at the University.  It is a sad truth that many people are willing to betray themselves.  When considering trust, it is important to have others trust you.  It is perhaps more important to be able to trust yourself.  More and more it seems acceptable in our society to say what we think we should, or what sounds nice, regardless of what we actually intend to do.  Even in cases when the right intentions are there, so often the discipline to keep our word is not.  

4 comments:

Tiffany J said...

That is SO true! It's one of my pet peeves and why I HATED group projects in school! I couldn't count on others to pull their share and I suffered for it too! It's very frustrating. We have to keep our commitments and give our all. It makes us well rounded!

Sarah said...

I love that you were surprised by this! After being at a high school for 5 years, I am sorry to admit that I would have expected it. I am so jaded.

Christopher said...

Great thought. Thanks for sharing Lisa!

Mama Janet said...

William Shakespeare said it best... in Hamlet "This above all, to thine own self be true and it must follow, as the night the day, thou cans't be false to any man." My mother also said it best, "Oh would some power the gift a gee us to see oursleves as other see us..."or was that Robert Burns?

Blog Archive