Tuesday, April 13, 2010

It Rained Last Night

We are sealing part of the foundation on our house. We spent Saturday digging a big hole so we could expose the crack. Dang. We should have checked the weather forecast before we exposed the hole!

4:30 am - Wake up to a shallow lake in the basement and spend the next several hours quietly mopping up water that was still coming into the house as quickly as I could clean it up.

8:00 - No progress made on the lake. Water still pouring in.

8:20 - Father-in-law shows up to drop off a wet/dry vac. Thank you! Spend the next several hours running between Logan, work, and the lake, trying to get things dried out.

12:30 - Inside lake empty, but water still coming in through crack. Go outside to see 50+ gallons of water trapped in the hole, still funneling into my basement. Wanted to swear but didn't. Maybe I should have. I might have felt better.

12:45 - Breaker goes out from running vac and fan. Switch outlets.

1:00 - Logan is helping me dry. He threw his sippie cup on the ground (for no apparent reason) and it bounces and hits me in the face. I lose patience and send Logan upstairs.

1:15 - Black eye forms from sippie cup incident.

1:30 - Smack head hard on board above crack where water is coming in. Goose egg forms.

1:40 - Smack head again in the same spot. Goose egg grows.

1:45 - 3 year old who is still not down for a nap is quiet upstairs for a surprising amount of time. Go upstairs to find him "watering the plants (seedlings for the garden)". Mud and water all over bathroom.

2:00 - After cleaning bathroom (with help from Logan), attempt to put him down for a nap. He cries because he is hungy. Of course he is hungry. He had to find himself food all morning while I mopped and vacuumed water. All he ate was potato chips, popcorn, and chocolate milk all day.

2:10 - Bad Mommy feeds Logan chicken, rice, and apples.

2:20 - Logan goes back to bed for 5 minutes and then cries because his feet are cold. Of course his feet are cold. He waded through a soggy basement all morning helping me.

2:25 - Cuddle Logan. Tell him a story about a little bat (his request). Bundle up his feet and warm him up a rice bag for his chilly toes. Kisses and hugs. Good night, Logan.

2:30 - Reflect on what a dreadful mother I was today. Catch up on work. Check water in hole. Almost gone. Water coming into house down to a trickle.

3:00 - Check weather forecast. Rain tonight.

11 comments:

Maggie said...

Sounds like an eventful day! I don't know what you're talking about Lisa, you are one of the best mom's I know! Hang in there. I'll pray the rain passes quickly. Love ya:)

GregR said...

6:00PM Grandma rescued Logan for a trip to the aquarium. I met them with left overs of rice and beans. He was still hungry but no worse for the events of the day.

Jenny said...

Oh Lisa....we all have bad mom days. Don't beat yourself up. It sounds like you had A LOT to deal with. I hope you are over the worst of it.

Emilie said...

this is one of those times you'd probably rather have snow than rain...
I could just see little Logan "watering" your plants :) What a helper.
I hope things dry out quickly... keep us updated. I'd like to hear how this ends. Wish I were there to help. Good luck!

Andrea said...

Sad, sad story! Good luck!

Brenna said...

It didn't rain too much last night...hope you get your project finished up soon:)

Mama Janet said...

Ouch,I guess you are going to call your house the flood house! Logan survived and hopefully you too!

Emily said...

You are amazing to keep your cool through all that. Do you need help with anything? Please call me. I would love to see you :)

Jo, a retired teacher said...

What a day you had! Is your home where I think it is, or have you moved again? Is the basement unfinished so there was less stuff to damage? Water can be so persistent.

Black eye and lumps on head, huh? A small amount of swearing might have been good for you (I read that recently).

Hope everything is working out well now.

Perschon Family said...

wow!@ what a day! that is one for the records for sure!!!

Scarlett said...

Bummer! That really sucks! Hope you were able to get it all fixed!

Blog Archive