Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Delayed Gratification

If I had to choose one thing that symbolizes society and culture in the United States in 2008, I would choose a microwave.  

As a society, we are obsessed with instant gratification.  We want whatever our appetites tell us we want without having to work or wait.  We live on credit, eat fast food, and avoid hard work.  This trend is particularly evident in classrooms across the country.  Children want to be entertained instead of playing creatively.  They want McDonalds and Lunchables instead of a sandwich on homemade bread.  They want to watch movies and play video games instead of reading books.  As I have watched this plague spread among the children and families I work with as an educator, I am concerned for my son.  I hope he doesn't grow up to feel entitled.  I hope he is frugal, unselfish, and hard-working.  These are truly becoming rare qualities.

2 comments:

GregR said...

I'm guilty along with the rest of the country. This is the age of entitlement.
As you Dad would say, These are the times that try men's souls...

Melynn said...

Oh, so true. Instant gratification is definately one of the challenges to living in our day, and I often hope that I have not fallen into the trap.

Thanks for remindng me to keep my head on straight.

Blog Archive