Thursday, July 3, 2008

Moral Developmet

I like to read a text book by Lynn Scorsby called "Understanding Child Development".  I learned something interesting this week.

He suggests that when we are teaching our children to be moral, we often focus on obedience and compliance to rules and requests.  Instead, he recommended that parents and teachers focus on teaching children that moral behavior helps people, and immoral behavior hurts people.  It is easy for children to understand, and provides them with a strong moral center.

Illustration:  Imagine a group of middle school students who do not like their Spanish teacher.  One day they leave the building and notice their teacher's car in the parking lot.  One of the boys suggests that they let the air out of the tires.  A child who has been trained to be compliant to rules might be willing to participate in this unkind task.  There usually aren't posted rules prohibiting such behavior.  A child who has been taught to evaluate how their behavior will help or hurt others will be able to experience empathy (a highly developed moral character trait), and will likely choose not to let the air out of the tires.

I'm going to try to be more aware of this principle with Logan.  I want him to grow up to be a good boy more than I want him to be smart or strong or financially successful.  I hope he is principled and kind.

5 comments:

em&m said...

hmmm. Excellent thought.

Jo, a retired teacher said...

Interesting distinction. Wouldn't it be nice if everyone had thought through the same principles?

Andrea said...

I've had a lot of discussions with my husband about the difference between teaching (and enforcing) specific rules verses teaching right from wrong. I think this post articulates that idea really well. I hope that as my boys grow, they will have the ability to evaluate a situation and make an appropriate choice.

kate said...

dr scoresby was one of my favorite profs. thankyou for the reminder of a great principle.

GregR said...

I think moral development comes all through life when we learn to see and empathize with others we go to a whole new level.

Blog Archive