Tuesday, July 22, 2008

S'more Solution

The big problem with s'mores is that the chocolate never melts. The marshmallow just doesn't stay hot long enough to melt a hershey bar. I've been dealing with this disappointing fact every summer since my early childhood. Over the years I've experimented with many mediocre solutions.  Among them:
1. Keebler fudge dipped cookies (poor chocolate to mallow ratio)
2. Chocolate chips (hard to keep on the graham)
3. Place the graham and the chocolate near the fire to melt (uneven melting and burned fingers)
4. Balance the graham and the chocolate with roasting sticks over the coals (bottom of graham gets burned)
5. Microwave chocolate and graham (oh wait... no microwave... attention all people who have a microwave on camping trips: You aren't really camping!)

Finally in my 26th summer camping, through a stroke of genius, I found the ultimate s'more solution:

I recommend everyone heads up to the canyon this weekend to give it a try.  Let me know how is goes.  

6 comments:

GregR said...

Brilliant! I have to say since I had one my life has been eternally improved! I love that hazel nut taste as well it's like the grey poupon (sp) of smores for me from now on... and I want to announce to the world of this blog as well that this is really a big step forward for humancampkind!

kennyandkristin said...

This is why I love you. You are always trying to think of things that make life a little easier. We will have to try it and let you know how it goes.

Amy said...

forget the mallows...this is the best treat!:)

I have some good memories of your grandparents cabin in Midway...that was the first time Darrell told me he wanted to spend eternity with him!

ls said...

glad you remembered to blog about this, but where is the picture i took of you with your s'more?

Emilie said...

Nutella is Ben's second love. But I must say that a s'more isn't a s'more if you don't get a little sticky :)

Andrea said...

Well, we tried it (at Kris' insistence after reading your blog), and it's pretty darn good. I myself love the striped shortbread cookies for smores.

Blog Archive