Monday, July 14, 2008

Different Dynamics


We just returned from my husband's family reunion.  It is always a spectacular event complete with talent showcases, gender specific activities, and action-packed days that are planned weeks (sometimes months) in advance.  I need a long nap today to cover from all of the excitement.
Doll Party (notice the special made aprons and chef's hats)
Trading Post (boys and dads)
Preparing for the river run



Next weekend we are going to my family reunion.  I guess you could call it that.  I'm getting together with my extended and immediate family for a camping trip in Yellowstone.  Whoever can come does.  We plan as we go.  We roast hot dogs and hike.  We go on drives looking for wild life.  We visit.  The kids run around in the woods and get dirty.  I come home relaxed.

Both families are trying to accomplish the same goal.  They want a bond of love to grow among family members, and they want to create positive lasting memories.  I guess there is more than one way to accomplish that purpose.  

What are you doing to bond with your families?

6 comments:

ls said...

my favorite part of this post: "...i guess you could call it that..." i love being in this family together.

sorry we missed each other last night. i'll call today.

GregR said...

you're right! It's fun memories in Yellowstone, California, and St. George. The funnest memories to me are just the little moments when everyone is visting and eating and enjoying the companionship of the ones they love.

Jo, a retired teacher said...

I'm sure I left a comment here yesterday. I wonder if I left it somewhere else and someone is now wondering what in the heck I was talking about.

Family get-togethers are often very different, partly depending on the size of the group. Unfortunately for me, my kids are the farthest away and get to spend the least time with their cousins, grandparents, and--darn it--even me. Enjoy the fact that, at least now, you are all close in proximity, as well as close emotionally.

Drostan and Jennifer said...

Hey there, this is Jenn, Chris Vassel's big sister. I don't know if you remember me but I found your blog on my brother's blog and thought I'd come take a look.

It's so fun to see your family! I sure miss your in-laws! They were one of my favorite families growing up.

Congrats on all you are doing. Your family is beautiful!

kennyandkristin said...

I am glad to see that you survived another reunion. I think the Affleck's should start a reunion business because they now how to plan one!!

Andrea said...

I just got back from my own family reunion, which was kind of a combination of the two you wrote about... a little bit of excitement and a little bit of lazy. It was nice.

Blog Archive