Saturday, August 23, 2008

More Lessons from Broken Vehicles... Those of You Who Know Me Know I've had My Share

Yesterday I was running an errand for my parents.  I was pulling their trailer to the hardware store to pick up cabinets.  As I began to enter a very busy intersection, the car died.  Luckily, I realized what was happening before I blocked traffic.  I called my step-dad, as I have many times in the past, and he came to my rescue.  He brought a tow rope and hooked the car up to my Rodeo, which we used to tow the car and trailer home.

As I very cautiously pulled him home, we had to go through a four-way stop.  I waited my turn and then carefully pulled through the intersection.  Another driver waiting at the intersection couldn't see what I was pulling behind me and angrily waved me on because I was driving slowly.  I watched his expression change from frustration to recognition when the car and trailer came into his line of sight.  

I wonder how many times I have been ignorantly frustrated with someone.  Perhaps if all of us knew the loads others were pulling we would be more considerate and patient. 

7 comments:

Brenna said...

I think that one of the most Christ like things we can do for others is show a little more patience. We certainly were reminded of this lesson many times this last year!

Sara and Company said...

You sure do have a knack for car fun! Lucky you! And so so true. Everyone has a reason for who and why they are and for what they do....not that it is always a good reason, but trying to understand why makes a world of difference. I watched my mom as a counselor in schools for many many years and I am convinced that no matter what facade is put up, everyone just wants to be loved, wanted, and do what they personally think is best...sometimes you just have to dig a little.

"There are two kinds of people in the world: Those I love and those I don't know yet."

Jo, a retired teacher said...

You have had your share of auto-trauma, but I am a little confused. Did you drive the car, towing the Rodeo and the trailer? That gives me quite a mental image. Glad you weren't involved in another crash of any kind.

Rebecca and Nick said...

I really like that insight. Sometimes I get a little frustrated, or see other people get frustrated at drivers, then I realize it's a little old little man, and I stop to think, "what if that was my grandpa?" I always try to be patient with other drivers because it is somebody's grandpa or grandma. And I hope others would do the same to my grandparents (if they were still alive).

Frazier Family said...

Time to walk wherever you need to go.

em&m said...

Oh, Lisa. Sorry to hear about your car trouble, but so glad to hear you turn it into a lesson for all of us. Thank you.

CoLiE-O said...

amen

Blog Archive