Sunday, August 31, 2008

Chatty Pumpers

We bought a natural gas car in December. It only has a 6 gallon tank, so we have to fill up frequently. It is worth the time. We only pay $.85 per gallon.

Interestingly, folks who drive these economical cars have their own little culture. When buying unleaded gasoline, how often do you visit with the person filling up across from you? Thrice in your life? Never? I have found that nearly 100% of the time, whoever is filling up their CNG vehicle next to me strikes up a conversation. No kidding. They all want to know how long we've been driving on natural gas, or which pump in the valley has the best pressure, or if the station on 90th south will be up and running soon. Sometimes I hear a history of how they converted their car. Sometimes they ask to see the tank in my trunk. Last weekend while filling up early Saturday morning, the man across from me said, "The early bird gets the pressure!"

I find myself becoming part of it. Sometimes when I'm filling up my car that runs on unleaded, I almost slip and start talking to a fellow pumper.

Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if the culture crossed over to all filler uppers.

3 comments:

kate said...

good for you lisa! and how fun. here in pa we get chatty folk everywhere we go, including the gas station. last week a lady noticed our utah plates and gave me a ten minute discourse on how to get my car registered, new driver's license, etc. i really like it and think it should be encouraged!

Rebecca and Nick said...

That is so funny, Lisa! I find it is true, also. Except in Las Vegas. The pumps there are excellent, always have the highest pressure to fill our tank up. But- there's never anybody there, at least when I've filled up. Not a lot of people there drive natural gas vehicles like they do in Utah, mostly just business and commercial stuff.

Soap Blaster said...

I ran into a guy at the 4500 South station at 3:00 a.m. today. I was on my way to work, and he still wanted to talk. He was so excited that the pressure was so great that early in the morning. He told me to expect to see him there more often.

It made me smile, and think of this post.

Blog Archive