Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Babbling

Logan likes to talk. He is starting to say simple sentences.

1. It's a bug.
2. I love you.
3. Go to the park.
4. It's the moon.
5. It's a ball.

My favorite sentences, however, are much more complex. Several times during the day Logan will look at me and rattle off a long string of multi-syllabic nonsensical words. Strangely, I understand him. While at a family party on Father's Day, he came up to me and very clearly said, "Mom, I pooped my diaper, I am feeling very uncomfortable, please change me." It sounded something like, "Mama, abaaot naa dapa, naw madd pana ladam ta." My grandpa who was sitting next to me started to laugh, because although the words didn't make sense, his body language and vocal inflections were very clear. Both he and I knew exactly what he was trying to tell us.

Language development is incredible.

5 comments:

Jo, a retired teacher said...

It surely is! Logan is lucky because his parents spend lots of time talking to him and with him. If you observe parents, lots of them don't talk to their children. Talking (and listening) are VERY important for building so many skills.

Give him one extra hug from this strange woman he doesn't remember.

Chels said...

Cute! That was one of the greatest blogs ever! I found your blog thru Amy Perschon's. It was good to run into you the other day at the new hospital (though it's not fun to meet up at a hospital, I'm not that crazy).

I noticed on your list of "friends" blogs that you have Erin's blog listed. She was in charge of the Tasty Marble when I was 16 and worked there. Then when she got married (to your brother-in-law, I assume) she moved into the same Murray Ward that Jesse and I were in and Jesse was there Home Teacher for the shortest time ever, but it's funny what a small world we live in. Anyway, I love your blog!

GregR said...

Blaa Bllaaaa da ma grama. Don't forget all the high pitched sentences he blurts out to me. I think we should record his speach, because as you know it changes so fast.
love, Mom

Emilie said...

I think you should post a video sometime of the little man. I would love to hear him talk! The last few weeks Charlie has been putting several words together and we definitely have understandable conversations (but even Daddy has to ask what he is saying sometimes). It is such a fun age. Way to go Logan!

em&m said...

oh, I love it! I love those long complex sentences that sound so comical yet somehow make so much sense! Great! Yay, Logan!

Blog Archive