Monday, June 23, 2008

Natural Gas

I heard on the news this morning that the average cost of gasonline in the nation is $4.10. It made my heart sink. Sometimes I think it would be worth a 30 year reduction in life expectancy, not having indoor plumbing, and making my own soap out of lard, to go back a few hundred years when life was a bit simpler. It is ironic that our atempt to simplify our lives with modern conveniences and technological advances has instead complicated things so much.

Gratefully last year we purchased a Chevy Cavalier that runs on natural gas. We're paying $.63 a gallon at the pump. We got $3,000 of our tax bill for purchasing it, and single riders can drive in the carpool lane. The car only has a 6 gallon tank which makes each fill up less than $4.00. We figure it saves us about $1,500 a year. I also have an Isuzu Rodeo, which I am driving as little as possible.

7 comments:

Jo, a retired teacher said...

We've been thinking of converting our vehicle(s) to natural gas. How far can you drive on a tank full? Is it difficult to fill up?

You've always been ahead of your time, but I would have made a lousy pioneer.

GregR said...

That's one good thing T did!
Thank goodness for that decision...
MOM

kate said...

we've been sticking our kids in the bike buggy and hauling them everywhere. sad. but fun!!

Perschon Family said...

We've talked about that too! It makes sense! I agree with the whole complicating our lives tidbit! But then again...I like my conveniences too!

Rebecca and Nick said...

I am so glad that Nick jumped on the natural gas bandwagon right after you guys! Have you noticed the price of natural gas cars in Utah have almost doubled since then? Nick is thinking about getting a natural gas kit installed on our Escape too. It's sad to think how the world is changing so fast,complicating things are making it so much harder on everyone.

ls said...

i'm grateful for the times i have been the beneficiary of the natural gas car. thanks for letting me tag along in it when we go places :)

Andrea said...

Kirk (my husband) was just telling me about these natural gas cars. We're thinking of maybe doing that for our next car. It's nice to hear of someone who has actually done it.

Blog Archive