Tuesday, June 3, 2008

College Paper

The day I finished my last final of college, I called my mom to tell her.  She asked me to go write one more paper about the most important things I had learned during my three years at BYU.  I did.  Most of them were not about how to become a teacher.  

I remember as I reflected on the time I spent, and I realized how many hard things I had to do - I was glad that it was over.  If someone had told me ahead of time the difficult things that would be required, I probably never would have begun.  Yet, looking back on a job well done was so satisfying.  The lessons I learned have proved to be invaluable.  When I've come to different crossroads in my life, I've thought back on that experience.  I'm glad that the Lord in his wisdom doesn't let us see the hard things that are coming our way.  We'd all probably be reluctant to continue forward if we knew the difficult things life will ask of each of us.  My hope is that one day when I'm further down life's road, I'll look back with satisfaction and gratitude on the lessons that life has taught me.

Here are 10 excerpts from the paper my mom requested the last day of college:

 - It doesn't hurt me to be patient and kind, but it will usually hurt someone else if I'm not.
 - When you are standing before an overwhelming task, it often seems impossible.  It is not.  You'll find that as you begin to move forward one day at a time you can accomplish nearly anything.
- If there are three blow dryers and two curling irons plugged into the wall, you will flip the breaker.
- Help people who you can help.  Pray for people who you cannot help.
- Serve the people you love.  Serve the people you don't love, and pray to love them.
- Express gratitude.
- Don't miss the miracles in each day because you are too busy to notice them.
- Don't be cynical of others.  You never know what difficult things they are dealing with.
- The purpose of prayer is not to convince God that what you want is right.
- Sometimes you can't please everyone.  The only perfect person who lived on this earth didn't please everyone.

8 comments:

Jo, a retired teacher said...

Good thoughts--as usual.

Glad to see you're back posting (you may want to edit the title of your last one...you must have had a tough week or two). Hope things are getting a little better now.

Tiffany J said...

Lisa I am so glad you have a blog. You have such great insight and I learn so many things each time I read. It's very inspiring. I especially love the last entry on your list about pleasing people...ain't it the truth!? I hope things are going a little better now...we still think of you guys often.

ls said...

i wish your mom would have told me to do the same thing when i graduated-- what a great treasure for you to have!

CoLiE-O said...

i am glad i came across your blog. you have such great wisdom to share and I enjoy the insight! you make me want to be a better person!

Perschon Family said...

You are AMAZING! You have such a gift for writing!!! I love to read what you write each time you post! Last night I read your post about tips your Mom had given you about little children. I have been really frustrated with Max lately and that specific posting was exactly what I needed to read. I also loved your posting about things you learned from being a teacher which help you as a parent. Today has been SO MUCH better with Max because I tried to remember what I had read on your blog! I miss you across the street but I'm so glad that you have this blog!!!

I am inspired by your words and your faith, especially with all you've faced recently!

Melynn said...

Lisa, I loved reading about things that you learned from college. You are awesome! Thanks for being a great roommate. Yes, it is true, too many blow dryers will blow the breaker.

You and Topher totally bought a natural gas powered car? That is great! Where do you get gas? Did you have to have something installed in your garage for refueling? Do you feel like it will save you more money in the long run?

Emilie said...

Those were good days (some hard ones, okay, many hard ones), but in the end they were good. I agree, I'm glad I didn't see the hard road coming or I might not have taken it. But I'm glad I did. You are awesome Lis! Love you! And Belated Happy Birthday. I had the thought to call or email you on your bday and it never happened...sorry :)

Lilli said...

Lis, so good! You are so wise! I love you and am glad that I can learn so much from you!

Blog Archive