Friday, March 28, 2008

Will You?

I have made an important discovery in my marriage.  Beginning a request to my better half with "will you..." is a highly effective way to help him help me (and Logan).  I cannot take credit for this wonderful idea.  I read it in Men are From Mars. Women are From Venus.  The author points out that men respond much better to "will you..." than "won't you...", "why haven't you...", "can you...", "you should...", etc.

To my greatest joy, I have found that several "will yous..." followed by "thank yous" have lead fewer requests for things like changing diapers, emptying trash, preparing bottles, and emptying the dishwasher.  I truly appreciate having a husband who is so willing to support and help me in the menial tasks motherhood often requires.

Give it a try, and remember to never underestimate the power of semantics in a marriage.  

1 comment:

Aleena said...

Hi! I love your blog. It was so great to get to see you, Topher and Logan. Thank you for all your help and I am glad that I can keep up with you two through the blog world.

Blog Archive