Monday, May 12, 2008

Lessons I Learned Teaching that are Helping Me as a Mom

1.  Kids long for structure, routines, and boundaries.  They make them feel safe.  Most kids act out to find boundaries. 
2.  Little children have flexible, interested, excited brains.  Don't smash them.
3.  Reinforcing behavior (positively or negatively) causes that behavior to increase.
4.  Children are perceptive about the way you feel about them.
5.  Self-esteem comes from successful personal experiences, not from having someone tell you that you are wonderful at everything regardless of whether you are or not.
6.  Consequences (positive and negative) are powerful tools.
7.  Children can be taught to work.
8.  Don't say you are going to do something unless you intend to do it.
9.  Take time to listen.
10. Notice and compliment praiseworthy behavior.

5 comments:

Soap Blaster said...

Hey, wait a second. I have seen you use a couple of those techniques on me...

Emilie said...

Lis- I was just going say those techniques seem to work on husbands too...then I saw Tophers comment. Hmmm, funny:)

ls said...

I am so grateful for the ways in which teaching prepared me for mothering. I just hope I can stay as diligent in using them with my baby as I was with my students.

kennyandkristin said...

Ummm now that I know you have a blog...I tagged you. I know you aren't into the blogging about yourself but I love to learn about people! So, you are it!

Natalie said...

Once again love your post. I feel exactly the same way. I think these techniques work for anyone, including animals. :) I luckily had a teacher for a mom who must have learned a lot of the same techniques. Thank goodness for teacher mamas!

Blog Archive