Monday, May 5, 2008

Sick of Picking Up Toys? Try This.


Does anyone reading this get sick of picking up books and toys?
I do.

I did something recently that is helping simplify my life in that regard.  I pulled about half of Logan's toys out of his toy baskets and almost all of them out of his room.  I am doing a toy rotation.  The extra toys are in baskets in a closet.  I'll change them out when he starts to get sick of the ones that he has.  Half as many toys is half as many to pick up.  I am doing the same thing with books.  I only keep 5 or 6 books out in his room.  

Benefits I've seen so far:

1.  It is easier to keep the house clean.
2.  Logan is learning to help clean up his own toys.  It is not overwhelming for him because there aren't very many toys to pick up.  He will work with me until the room is clean instead of getting distracted and making another mess.
3.  Fewer books allow for more repetition.  We read the same books every day for a week or two.  Logan is learning new words every day (he has about 40).  Many of them are from the books we are reading.
4.  Logan is focusing on one activity for longer periods of time.  He has fewer distractions.
5.  When I rotate the toys, Logan gets excited because he thinks they are all new.  This gives me more minutes during the day when he plays independently.


7 comments:

Jo, a retired teacher said...

You're quite a smarty, even about 1-year-olds.

Frazier Family said...

I've been doing a toy rotation, but I think I still need to make the group of toys smaller. I also haven't been doing books. That's a GREAT idea. Max only ready a few of the hundred books we have anyways so it's smart to only have a few out. That way he'll learn more. Thanks for the tips!!

Lilli said...

I totally need to and am going to do this...!

ls said...

Is it bad that my baby doesn't have enough toys to warrant a toy rotation? Dang.

We just have a basket of toys in the living room that he will sit and go through for about 45 minutes every morning while I work out.

But over the past couple of days I've noticed that he is starting to get bored a little sooner so I have been contemplating rotating the toys at my mom's house (she has a bunch and he doesn't play with them often) with the ones at our house. I think I'll do that.

It was so fun to spend the day with you and the blondie. I'll call you about the pictures and we'll see you Friday-- what should I bring? Give me an assignment or two, pretty please. Love you guys.

Tiffany J said...

This is the BEST way to get a cleaner home! I love toy rotations! It worked for us too!

kate said...

wonderful idea! i will totally be doing this.

em&m said...

What a wonderful tip.. Thanks!

Blog Archive