Thursday, May 1, 2008

When Am I Ever Gonna Have to Use This?

My friend called me this week to ask me a question about her child's math homework. After I walked her through solving the problem, she complained about how useless it is to learn how to divide fractions. I've thought a lot about that complaint.

As a teacher, I realize that every child won't find all of the curriculum they learn in school useful in their daily lives. I don't remember everything I learned in school. As parents of children receiving an education, it is important to recognize that more is being learned than a math procedure when a child has to practice and master an academic concept. Education is about more than dividing fractions and diagraming sentences. Education is about teaching our children to organize and connect information, discipline their minds and bodies, listen to and follow directions, complete tasks, be responsible for their own posessions, and to have respect for themselves, their peers, and those with authority. Classrooms are a great environment for learning to solve problems in social situations, whether they be with a teacher, a friend, or a bully. As adults all of these skills are very applicable to our daily lives! Parents can do their children a big favor by looking for opportunities to teach them important life skills while they are practicing multiplication tables and writing science fair reports.

Instead of complaining right along with your child when they are frustrated, focus on helping them overcome whatever they are struggling with. Some phrases I used as a teacher when a child was frustrated were:

-I'm sorry you are feeling frustrated with division, come sit by me and I'll help you.

-Let's look in the book and read the directions again together. They will probably make more sense the second time.

-It sounds like recess was really tough today. What can you do to have a better experience tomorrow?

-I'm sorry you are feeling upset with your teacher, what are you learning from this experience? How can you have a better experience in their class for the rest of the year?

-Have you tried telling your teacher/friend that you are feeling this way? Get some paper and I'll help you write them a note.

The bottom line is, children often adopt the attitudes of the adults they are around. We have a responsibility to teach them how to be persistent, positive, and hard working where their education is concerned, and where their lives are concerned.

7 comments:

Lilli said...

Awesome advise! I am so glad you will be there to set me straight when I am ruining my kids. HA!

Melynn said...

Lisa, I'm so glad you blog. When I have a minute, and need something good to read, I can come here. Thanks for sharing your insights from the perspective of a teacher. I really love reading them all.

Tiffany J said...

AMEN! So many times being in and working in a classroom I have noticed this with the kids and teachers alike. Good teachers are able to lift their kids spirits, their motiviation and open up a whole new approach to things. I have no doubt you were one of those good teachers...they are rare.

Jo, a retired teacher said...

Well done young one!

What is also true that is one never knows which pieces of information will come in handy in the future. Being able to discard stuff you don't use is lots easier than trying to do something when you don't know how.

I hope good teachers are not really that rare; I have 4 precious grandchildren in schools.

Teacher Mama said...

You're a smart one for being a new mom. I'm so glad Logan has you to teach him and make sure that he's not just smart but nice too!
I love you!
Mom

ls said...

Too bad so many parents don't get this. We should refer them all to your blog.

Natalie said...

Lisa, I have only visited your blog twice but both times you have inspired me to be a better mom. Thanks for your insights and your posts! I think I'm going to start stalking your blog. I hope you don't mind.

Blog Archive