Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Favorite Children's Authors/Books

This post is a request from a college roomie.  These are a few of my favorite children's books and authors.  These are picutre books only.  I'll work on children's non-fiction books and some great chapter books.  Happy reading.

1.  Mercer Mayer - It is fun to have kids look for the grasshopper and the spider on every page of his little critter books.  My personal favorite of his is There's a Nightmare in my Closet.

2.  Eric Carle - I love The Very Hungry Caterpillar.  He has lots of great books that teach children about natural processes (seeds growing, caterpillars changing to butterflies, etc.)

3.  Leo Leoni - Most of his books are about animals.  I love Swimmy and Fredrick.

4.  Maurice Sendak - Where the Wild Things Are is a must!

5.  Kevin Henkes - He writes lots of great books about interpersonal relationships.  One of my favorites is Julius the Baby of the World which is about girl getting a little brother.

6.  Chris Van Allsburg - He wrote Polar Express and my favorite The Wretched Stone, a fabulous allegory about one of our societies damaging habits.  Check out his website for background info on his books.

7.  Dr. Seuss - Logan was born on his birthday.  He is probably my favorite of all time!  His books are all winners.  My favorite is Horton Hatches the Egg.  There are so many great lessons to be learned from his books.  

8.  Bernard Waber - Check out Ira Sleeps Over.  It is a great one to read out loud.

9.  Shel Silverstein - He writes poetry.  Where the Sidewalk Ends is my favorite collection.  

10. Patricia Polacco - She is fabulous!  I love Pink and Say about a confederate and union soldier in the Civil War.  These are great for kids who are a little bit older (upper elementary).

2 comments:

Jo, a retired teacher said...

My boys loved the books by Stan and Jan Berenstain--especially the rhyming ones. I also love Tedd Arnold and his "Parts" series.

Soap Blaster said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Blog Archive