Thursday, April 3, 2008

Opinions Please

Tonight I cooked dinner for 10.  I invited some of our new neighbors over.  They didn't show up (at least they haven't yet, it has been over an hour).  I couldn't get ahold of them by phone, and I don't know which house they live in (I just met them at church).  

My question is this... What time should you clean up dinner if your guests are late?  Also, what should you say to them next time you see them?  Anything?  I certainly don't want to make them feel bad.  My objective in inviting neighbors over in the first place is to make them feel welcome and loved.

We have guests over at least three or four times a month.  I would say at least once every two months someone is exceedingly late without a phone call (more than 30 min. sometimes 45+).  It usually upsets me since I go to lots of work to have a yummy dinner prepared on time.  Anyone who cooks knows that when dinner is ready you want it eaten hot.  As time passes the quality of the dinner generally declines.

Anyone who wants chicken and dumplings, spinach salad, or angel food cake and strawberries is welcome to drop by tonight or tomorrow.  I have a fridge full.

6 comments:

Melynn said...

Thanks for the list. I was telling some friends yesterday how excited I am to get children's books. Thanks!

Jo, a retired teacher said...

That's too bad, it sounds delicious.

Personally, I think 30 minutes without a phone call and a good reason is too long. Are people so self-involved that they cannot be a little considerate of others?

kate said...

been there, and it's always a disappointment. i think it's definitely alright to say "hey we missed you guys for dinner the other night, is everything ok?" maybe they forgot to put it on the calendar? what a bummer though.

kate said...

p.s. thanks for the list! those are some of our faves too and i look forward to your future suggestions.

em&m said...

Bummer. You are a wonderful host, I'm sorry your guests didn't arrive and didn't call. That isn't nice. Hopefully they had a good excuse (or not hopefully - I mean, we don't really want our friends to be in some kind of emergency) sheesh, I don't know.
You are a nice person. Very cool for inviting people over. I wish I were more outgoing like that. love you.

Tiffany J said...

That's frustrating! I agree that 30 minutes is long enough. There's a lot of work and time that goes into hosting anything so I sympathize with you. I've been there. It was nice of you to go out of your way to invite them in the first place...that's a bummer. I'm sorry they couldn't make it.

Blog Archive